The Girl Reading Response










Artist Statement
This sculpture is a response to an excerpt from the book, “All the Lights We Cannot See” by Antony Doer. This passage describes a visually impaired girl interacting with a miniature model of her city during World War II. The author conveys a strong sense of the impending doom of this city. I deliberately chose to express dread and destruction in my sculpture. My process was daring and experimental; simulating the energy of warfare and survival. The form of the structure itself is that of the town that is so preciously replicated by the girl in this narrative. As to then destroy this form, I found it difficult to express the violence against this town with just my hands. I charred the material and make marks on the surface to suggest the scaring of this area. The linear forms are randomly arranged to communicate energy and chaos.



Comments

Popular Posts